North American Overlay Mapping
The Status Bar.
The Status Bar, located at the bottom edge of your browser, shows a variety of information once a map has been loaded, depending on the current position of your cursor. The information is in 7 parts, as follows: (Left-Right)
- Latitude of the cursor, in degrees, tenths, and hundredths of a degree, with N for points North of the Equator & S for points South of it.
- Longitude of the cursor, in degrees,tenths, and hundredths of a degree, with E for points East of the Greenwich Prime Meridian & W for points West of it.
- Grid Locator of the cursor, with full six-character precision, allowing any point to be identified to within better than 5.6 nautical miles, anywhere on the surface of the Earth.
- Your registered callsign or other identification. This feature is included to stop software piracy.
- The distance from your registered position to the current cursor position in Statute Miles.
- The short-path Great-Circle bearing from your registered position to the current cursor position, allowing you to know which direction to point your antennas.
- The long-path Great-Circle bearing from your registered position to the current cursor position, for those who wish to try long-path communication.
The format of the position displayed on the status bar can be changed at any time by clicking 'Tools' > 'Options', and scrolling down to the first section. Five options are available:
The format of the distance displayed on the status bar can also be changed in a similar manner. Three options are available:
- Decimal Degrees, with 2 decimal places
- Decimal Degrees, with 3 decimal places
- Degrees, Minutes, Seconds
- Degrees, Minutes, Decimal Minutes
- UTM coordinates
Changes you make will only apply to the NAOMI suite that is currently showing. If you close the program then start it again, the new settings will be lost. To make permanent changes to the Locator Map action, you need to open the file 'defaults.js' with 'Notepad' or similar text editor, and make and save the changes detailed there. Do NOT use 'Word', or a word processor to edit the 'defaults.js' file, as these programs will add extra, unwanted characters.
- Statute Miles
- Nautical Miles
Your Callsign and Registered Position are encoded into the software when you purchased it. If you wish to change your Registered Position, send an email to the address on the Contact Page containing the new position, your Callsign, and the Licensee Serial Number. Position changes are limited to 1 per year, unless other terms are agreed on with the author. Callsign changes are not possible.