North American Overlay Mapping
Open an existing User-List
NAOMI comes with three user-lists already programmed in : User-List 1, 2 and 3. The current contents are only there to show you some of the possibilities of having your own indivdual lists. They can be edited or re-filled with your own data at any time.
To open an existing list for editing, start the List Editor by clicking 'Tools' > 'Edit Lists'. The first thing to do is to choose which list you want to open. Do this by selecting the one that you want in the 'List Title' box. Then, click the down-arrow on the main toolbar until you reach 'Load and edit an existing user list'. Click that, and the list will load into the 'Output List' area. Some information about what you have just done, and the size of the list, is shown in the 'Input List' area.
The list can now be edited or ordered in a variety of ways, using the edit buttons on the main toolbar, and the data boxes for each entry in the area to the right of the screen.
- Selecting the entry - this is done with the 'Entry Number' box. It contains a number for every one of the list entries. The first entry is always number '0'. Selecting the one you want will load that entry's current values into the other boxes. The list-status box, on the main toolbar, will also show which entry you are currently working on.
- Changing the entry - once selected, you can change any of the entry's values (location, area type and value, longitude, latitude) in the boxes to the right of the screen. Once you have made the changes that you require, click the 'Update this entry' button, on the main toolbar. This will update the list shown in the 'Output List' area, and the list status box will confirm this. Note that the actual list, as used in the mapper, has not been updated, merely the working copy that you must later save.
- Other functions - Delete, Move Up, Move Down. These work on an individual entry, who's number must be first selected in the 'Entry Number' box. Otherwise, the one that is currently showing there will be acted on. After the action has taken place, you will be told of the results in the 'Input List' area. A shortened version is also shown in the List Status window. The result itself can be seen in the 'Output List' area.
- Sort and Reverse - these functions are performed on the whole list. Information is once again shown in the 'Input List' area, and in the List Status window.
- Reset - this button will reset all changes that you have made to the list since it was loaded into the 'Output List' area. Its action is non-reversable, so use with care.
- Clear - this button will clear all content from the Input and Output List areas. Its action is non-reversable, so use with care.
- Saving the list - Once you have finished all your editing, click on the 'Select output list' button. This will select all the current content of the Output List, enabling you to copy it to the system clipboard by presssing Control-C, or by right-clicking over the text and selecting 'Copy' from the dropdown menu. You must then open the 'Notepad program (Start > Programs > Accessories) or a similar text editor, paste the clipboard onto the window (Control-V, or Edit > Paste), and then save the file as described in the 'Input List' area. NB: make sure that you select 'Save as type: 'All Files (*.*)', otherwise the file will be saved as the default .txt type. Also, do not use the Word program, or any other word-processor, to save the file with, as these will introduce unwanted extra characters.